My mother's favorite type of pie is a key lime pie. How could anyone ever disagree with that?
This is the type of pie that will leave you begging for another slice until you accidentally eat 95 percent of the pie. Please prepare to muster up all your strength to wrap it up before you eat every last crumb during one sitting. Or, make it an unforgettable gift!
The way the graham cracker crust crumbles in contrast to the bright, tangy, and creamy filling is irresistible. Limes seem to be the key to many crowd-pleasing delicacies...key lime pie, Friday- night margaritas, and ceviche (especially the ceviche that Danielle Wecksler and I made for the "Ceviche Three Ways" live video). Click here to view.
I baked this key lime pie for my roommate's 22nd birthday. I made her two types of pies: key lime pie, and chicken pot pie.
Key limes are smaller than regular Persian limes. Key limes also have a thinner rind, higher acidity, and stronger subLIME flavor.
Store-bought graham crust
3 egg yolks
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup Key Lime juice, about 1 pound Key Limes
1 1/2 tablespoons lime zest (reserve a pinch for dazzling up your homemade whipped cream)
1 cup cold heavy cream, baby
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
For Whipped Cream*
1. Use an electric mixer to whip together cream and sugar for a few minutes until stiff peaks form. 2. Top the pie with whipped cream and zest.
*A trick to whipped cream is to put your metal bowl and beaters in the fridge until thoroughly chilled. It helps produce stiff peaks by whipping in a larger amount of air bubbles.
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. Whip the zest and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Add condensed milk and mix for 3 minutes or until thickened.
4. Add lime juice and mix.
5. Pour mixture into pie crust.
6. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, until the pie will rises slightly. Do not let it brown, it is a delicate pie, not a cake!
7. Allow cooling at room temperature before cooling in the fridge for at least 2 hours. If your sweet tooth is in need of sugar, you can also place the pie in the freezer to cool it quicker.
I hope y’all enjoy this killer recipe!
—Now We're Cookin'!